Saturday, March 22, 2008

Koontz is the MAN!

For those who do not know, I am an avid reader of fiction books. I originally was introduced to Koontz's writing through Intensity. The novel is an engaging roller coaster from start to finish, and really got me hooked on his style of writing.

Since then I've collected several of his works and been reading through them. So far I've gotten through Dark Rivers of the Heart, Night Chills, and Strangers. Each of them is a great book, with a great story. However, as I have been reading through Watchers, I'm noticing some common themes in each of them. For one, Koontz's main character cast normally includes at least one ex-military man in varying degrees of disillusionment. For another, he uses similar props in his books. Bell JetRanger helicopters, Chef Special pistols, and Jeeps feature in most of his novels. Also, some of his villains are similarly obsessed with the same beliefs.

Like I said, it's not a bad thing, but to me, at some points in the novels it feels like he's just shuffling in and out the same cards in the deck and placing them in slightly different order.

I'll have to see if the patterning continues throughout his writing, but I still highly recommend the novels listed above.

No comments: